Asked about the rumours former Barcelona player and coach Carles Rexach would join the candidacy set up by ex-candidates Josep Maria Minguella and Jordi Medina and headed by Catalan businessman Santiago Salvat (read more here), Minguella has said in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC1 that Rexach didn't yet make a final decision:
"I can't say anything, it's him who should make a decision. Charly is welcome because he's a nice person who appeals to the Barcelona fans but he should make the decision. Someone has told him that he could head a candidacy and he's free to do what he wants. Whatever he does, I will support him, although I think both for him as for us it would be good to team up."
In an interview with Catalan radio station Catalunya Ràdio had earlier already explained that Rexach is still considering the possibility of running for president himself in upcoming elections which will be held on Sunday 13 June:
"The situation of Charly is very complex because he got involved in Facebook, which has led to some major doubts about what to do since he got the support of over 5.000 members. But how many of those are club members? Those are 5.000 perople who are clicking - or how do you call that - but the important thing is to know how many members there are between them.
Charly is of course important in the entourage of the club, he can atttract votes, but first he should make a decision. I would never reject him, on the contrary, I offer Charly to join me because I think it's a good guy and I would want to have him at my side. But he will decide.
I think that someone is driving him a bit crazy, saying that he has a chance, that they will promote him, that he will win and all that, which makes that he is now in doubt and didn't yet make a decision. I've read that he has said that this week will be decisive. We'll see."
Rexach will participate in the elections
Santiago Salvat is Minguella-Medina candidate
Rexach could join Minguella-Medina candidacy