Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rexach confirms his support for Rosell

In his weekly column in Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo, former Barcelona player and coach Carles Rexach has confirmed his support for Barcelona presidential candidate Sandro Rosell:

"I recently had the occasion to speak at length with Sandro, and I must admit that his enthusiasm, his ideas and his nobility have convinced me.

I might not know anything else, but few can give me lessons about football. And I must admit that Sandro knows something about football. And he has clear ideas about how a club should be managed in the 21st century.


Sandro Rosell can count on my support. He told me that he would want me to add my experience if he is elected as president. I told him that, if I can, I'll be happy to cooperate, but my dream is to continue enjoying the football of Barça and to feel proud of the club's president."

Catalan sports paper Sport claims that Rexach met last week with Rosell and told the former sports vice-president that he would publicly announce that he would vote for him. Because there wouldn't be any more vacancies in the sports structure of Rosell, Rexach wouldn't for now get a specific task within the candidacy.

Rexach reportedly made his decision last-minute after he had first considered to run for president and was then close to joining the candidacy that was set up by former Barcelon presidential candidates Josep Maria Minguella and Jordi Medina and that will be led by Catalan businessman Santiago Salvat (read more here).

Asked about the rumoured support of Rexach, Rosell had said on Monday evening during a seminar: "Charly is a living myth, a great person whom everyone would want to talk with if he would be here today. He is a guy who knows a lot about football, he knows how Barça is working and it would be pleasure if he would join our team."

Read more:
Rexach will join the candidacy of Rosell
Santiago Salvat is Minguella-Medina candidate
Rexach still thinking about running for president