Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Benedito: "I do not feel bitter"

Barcelona presidential candidate Agustí Benedito gave an interview to Spanish football site Madrid-Barcelona.


Do you have enough money to deposit the bank guarantee?
To be president of Barça one must meet certain requirements without which one cannot hold the office. As I intend to be president, I will meet the requirement of depositing a bank guarantee for 15% of the budget, which is 56 million euros, in case of victory. I do not have to do that alone but jointly with the 15 members of the list.

You worked side by side with president Laporta when you founded the 'Elefant Blau' to overthrow president Núñez. When Laporta was elected as president in 2003, how were you rewarded for your efforts?
I worked together for many years with Laporta and with many other people, even before the vote of no confidence and the 'Elefant Blau'. When Laporta called me to join his team eight months before the elections, I was not able to accept and I refused the offer. Since he has been president of Barça, he never asked me to be a member of the board.

That should make you feel bitter...
No. We spent seven years working together, also with other people, and I've been working with him for five years and nine months in the club.

But is not the same to be in the club than to be a director or vice-president and have all the privileges. You must be bitter for that reason.
I can assure you that I am not bitter and all the people who worked with me during that time will confirm this. I understand that for many people this is perhaps a crucial issue but not in my case. I have worked as hard as I could for a project in which I believed and in which I still believe and my specific role is absolutely of minor importance. I am satisfied with having been able to take part in that project, while at the same time disappointed of not having been able to fully execute it.

Were you surprised when the law firm of Laporta got involved in the purchase of Mallorca by someone of Uzbekistan? Were you surprised?
I was surprised and I would almost say that I was shocked. In fact, when I heard about it, I left the club. Never before, I've had any certainty or evidence of an unethical or illegal behaviour by Laporta. Never. And when I have the first proof, which was given to me by he himself, I left.

And right now, don't you think it's strange that he is trying for mister Ferrer to be his successor at Barça so that things can stay the same and possible irregularities at the club cannot be discovered?
As for the choice for continuity he defends, I think that to some extent it is actually normal. It makes sense that he wants people he trusts to continue because he must believe in his club model and his way of managing. Therefore, it is normal that his preferred option is to have people he believes in developing it further in the future. That there would be other motives and he's trying to shield off other things? That is also possible.

And as a result of all this, the person he supports could be a puppet manipulated by him?
Well, we will see what will happen and who will in the end be the person who will represent this project. Until a few days ago, it seemed to be someone else. Today it seems that it is mister Jaume Ferrer. Let's wait and see...

this was the first part of this interview. you will be able to read the following parts in the coming days with benedito talking - among other things - about the projects of jaume ferrer and sandro rosell.

Read more:
Benedito: "The signatures won't be a problem"
Logo and first campaign slogan Benedito revealed
Benedito says he will also run in next elections