Friday, January 29, 2010

Boix will not choose between Godall and Ferrer

Asked about his role in the upcoming elections for president of FC Barcelona (read more here), Barcelona economic vice-president Joan Boix has said in interviews with Catalan radio stations Cataluny Ràdio, first, and RAC 1, later, that he will not actively take part in the campaign by joining the candidacy of Barcelona first vice-president Alfons Godall or that of Barcelona assets vice-president Jaume Ferrer:

"I'm friends with all my board colleagues and especially with the two candidates. I think both can be great presidents and that they have similar ideas. As a friend, I was at the presentation of Alfons and when Jaume will present his project and invites me, I will also be there.

In the first place, I'm disappointed, frustrated, call it the way you like, that we haven't been able to form one single board candidacy. Friendship is above everything, it's one of the most important values and that's why this is an uncomfortable situation for me. I never give up, I'm still fighting for a deal between the two because I see this as a personal failure.

Like the majority, I was a great campaigner for one candidacy because of the successful model we have put in place but it hasn't been possible until this moment. I still hope the lines are open but, although I'm not losing hope, I think it's very difficult.

At a personal level, I didn't yet decide what I will do. What is clear to me is that I will continue at the club until 30 June, side-by-side with my president until the end of the mandate, trying to continue with a correct management of the club and to organize exemplary and neutral elections.

After that, I could leave or, if I have the motivation and the new president thinks I can add something to his project in one way or another, I will look at the offer and make a decision. I'm not excluding anything."

Read more:
Position vice-president Joan Boix remains unclear
Boix could be the consensus board candidate
Godall officially confirms presidential candidacy