Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sala i Martin considering his position

A few hours after the board meeting in which was decided that Barcelona president Joan Laporta would support Barcelona assets vice-president Jaume Ferrer and not Barcelona first vice-president Alfons Godall in the presidential elections on 13 June (read more here), Barcelona treasurer Xavier Sala i Martín, who was part of the candidacy of Godall, put yesterday early morning a note on his Facebook page:

"First of all, thanks to the hundreds of people who have sent me private and public messages to express their concern about my state of mind. I can assure all of you that I am fine. Secondly, I can confirm that some of the stories you've been hearing and reading about Barça are true.

You all know that Alfons Godall had my unconditional support but the circumstances have made it look like as if he will not lead a candidacy. Taking this into account, I feel the freedom to make the decisions that I feel are appropriate and to support that person who I think will serve our club best, if I will in the end give my support to someone.

What is beyond any doubt is that the commitment I have towards president Joan Laporta and the commitment that I have towards all the club members to work with body and soul (and heart) for Barça remains strong and I will continue to work for Barça until the last day."

Later that morning, Sala i Martín commented on the events in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC 1 saying that he didn't yet know what his role in the election process now will be:

"I'm not sure what to do now. My main option was a candidacy of Alfons Godall with the support of Joan Laporta that included others. As this now doesn't seem to be possible, I take the freedom to decide what I will do now. At this moment I cannot say to whom I will give my support or if I will support someone.


It is true that the president has asked me to run, first last Friday, and Saturday again. But I said no, that my option was the one I was part of. I explained him my reasons, but I basically refused because Laporta leads the laportism and Sala i Martín should lead the salaimartinism and because of intellectual coherence I've said no.

Will I just stay until the end of the season and then leave? That has always been and is an option. I don't know what I will do. What I do know is that I want to thank Joan Laporta for giving me the chance to be part of this board that has created the best Barça in history and to be a witness of those great successes.

Because of my commitment towards Joan Laporta and the club members I will fulfil my task with heart and soul until the end, that is guaranteed. What I will do after 30 June is something I don't yet know."

Read more:
Laporta confirms board support for Ferrer
Godall not leaving electoral race
Sala doesn't exclude future candidacy