Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Edmilson trains again

He is back. Brazilian player Edmilson said he felt no ill-effects on his return to training with Barcelona after a knee operation that caused him to miss the World Cup.

"I felt really good and did not notice any pain," the 30-year-old was quoted as saying in Barcelona sports daily publication on Tuesday.

We must remember that Edmilson pulled out of Brazil's World Cup squad after suffering a torn knee cartilage in his right knee when the team were preparing for the championship in Switzerland at the end of May. The midfielder was operated on in Brazil on June 1.

The talented player, who can also play in the centre of defence, joined Barca from Olympique Lyon in 2004 but missed much of his first season at the team after tearing the cruciate ligament in his right knee during a league encounter in October.

It's good to mention that the Spanish and European champions returned to training on Monday with striker Eidur Gudjohnsen joining his new team mates for the first time since his 12 million-euro ($15 million) move from english side Chelsea.

"I know I've come to a really good team where there are a lot of quality players," said the Icelandic international. "I know that I won't be playing every game, but I'm determined to win myself a place in the squad."