in this section, we ask catalan and spanish sports journalists five questions about the elections for president of fc barcelona. today: abraham clotet from catalan sports paper sport.
1. Ferran Soriano could decide to run for the presidency with an own candidacy, meaning without teaming up with the continuity bid Godall-Sala?
Everything seems to indicate that he is preparing to compete for the presidency. Because of his profile, it would surprise me if he take up a role as number two.
2. Why is Sandro Rosell staying silent?
I think Rosell doesn’t want to wear himself out too soon. He knows that if he talks, he has more to lose than to win. I think that he will wait until the very last minute so ha can take as much advantage as possible of the good image many people have of him.
3. People talk a lot about possible agreements between candidates. Rosell, Godall, Ferrer, Benedito and Guixà are the pre-candidates so far: who are the two that would most likely strike a deal?
I think Rosell won't close a deal with anyone. Regarding the others, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they would all end up looking for alliances.
4. Fifteen directors, five of whom were vice-presidents, have left in the past 7 years. Is Joan Laporta that difficult to live with?
Laporta brought together the people that at that moment wanted change, a heterogeneous group in which there soon were differences of opinion. With the passage of time and the making of decisions the positions drifted more and more apart and, in light of the facts, the board became more presidential.
5. The decision to organize the elections on 13 June was right?
In my opinion it was better to hold them as soon as possible. Barça will reach the decisive stage of the season with this very long pre-campaign in full swing and there will come out names, transfer rumours, dirty laundry... And that could ultimately affect the players at a key moment.
THE EXTRAS If you were a club member of Barça, who would you vote for?
I am not a club member and if I was, I still wouldn't know who to vote for. There are three months left and it still remains to be seen which concrete proposals each one will bring forward.
All your possessions are at stake. Give the top-3 of the elections on 13 June.
3. I don't think there's anyone else in the race.
Thank you for this interview and your time. Good luck in covering the rest of the season and the elections.
read the previous episodes of this series:
francisco ávila (efe)
miquel pellicer (el mundo deportivo)
edu polo (ona fm)