Friday, January 15, 2010

Son "Great Captain" Segarra in board team Guixa

Barcelona presidential candidate Jaume Guixà has announced in a press release earlier this week that Joan Segarra (picture, on the left), the son of former Barcelona player Joan Segarra (picture, on the right), will be a member of his board of directors if he will be elected president later this year (read more here).

Joan Segarra, a 56-year technical architect, explains in the statement why she supports the candidate: "From the day of my birth, I have been linked with the club. My father made me a member of FC Barcelona before even subscribing me to the civil registry and my dream is to continue working at the service of Barça and all the fans until the last day, just like my father did.

Until this date, I've never took a stand on any presidential candidate. However, Jaume Guixà has been able to arouse in myself and all those who are part of his candidacy a huge belief and an immense desire to fight for a Barça that is more close and respectful towards its members.

I believe that Jaume can be the new president of all the fans and that together we can lead a Barça that continues to be 'More than a club' and a worldwide reference, that is capable of transmitting the great values of our democratic society."

Joan Segarra, who passed away in September 2008 at the age of 81, played more than 500 official games for Barcelona between 1949 and 1965 and was the captain of the "Barça of the Five Cups", the team that won five trophies during the 1951-1952 season.

Read more:
Grand-daughter club founder in board team Guixa
Guixa: "The most powerful candidacy is ours"
Guixa gets support son "Great Captain" Segarra