Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Vice-president Joan Franquesa resigns

Spanish news agency EFE claims that Barcelona vice-president Joan Franquesa has resigned from his post as director of the club. Franquesa, who was responsible for institutional matters and assets administration, reportedly sent a letter of resignation to Barcelona president Joan Laporta.

Barcelona has meanwhile officially confirmed the news and has made public the letter that Franquesa personally handed to president Joan Laporta earlier today and in which he explaines the reasons for his resignation.

In his letter, Franquesa says that he leaves the board because of personal and professional reasons: "As we have discussed recently, I am unable to continue to devote the time to the club that, according to my sense of responsibility, I think is needed for a director of FC Barcelona. The changes in my personal and professional life now require my full attention. [...] At this moment, my priorities are my recently enlarged family and my company."

Joan Franquesa joined Barcelona's board of directors in July of 2005 and was promoted to vice-president in July of 2008. Franquesa was one of the four vice-presidents involved in the Barçagate investigation story earlier this year (read more here) and was rumoured to lose power in an upcoming board reshuffle on Friday (read more here).


check our exclusive overview of all Barcelona board movements since 2003 here