Friday, November 27, 2009

Rosell: "Football is all about cycles"

In April of 2006, former Barcelona sports vice-president Sandro Rosell, who had left the club in June of 2005 (read more here), released the book "Benvingut al món real" (Welcome to the real world). During the promotion of the book, Rosell gave an interview to Spanish news agency EFE.


In a passage from your book, you say that Laporta has hinted that he might resign in case the team wins the double.
I don't believe he'll actually do it, but hopefully the team will win the Liga and the Champions League this year.

What is your opinion on when the elections should be called [in 2006, there was a debate on when the next presidential elections should be held: in 2006 or in 2007]?
I don't know when the elections have to be called, but I have spoken with two lawyers and they didn't have any doubt when assuring they should be held this year. Will I run? I'll use the words of a friend of mine with which I also end my book: "Never say never."

But you have lately been offered to lead a candidacy?
About three or four times in the last months, but at this moment I'm not up for it.

After the game in Milan [0-1 win in the first leg of the Champions league semi-finals, goal by Giuly], Barça has already qualified for the final?
They're not there yet, but they have a big chance to go through. I hope we get to the final and I actually have already booked hotel rooms in Paris for the occasion.

Should the squad be seriously remodelled in the coming years?
We of course need some minor changes in the team, because football is all about cycles.

What about the possible transfer of Thierry Henry? He would fit into the team?
On paper Henry would be a great signing but in practice that could be different. If I had to decide on this transfer, I would think a lot about it.

You have a very close friendship with former Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez. Were you surprised that he announced his resignation? What's your opinion about it?
What most struck me was the timing of the announcement. I would have thought he would do it at the end the season, not before that. He thought he had finished his cycle. I surely don't believe the reports about the debts of Madrid, but it's normal that they appear when a president leaves office.

When was the last time you saw Laporta?
We both were at the wedding of Deco.

Now that some time has gone by, do you think you waited too long to leave the club?
No, I had chosen the date, and I was waiting for the league to end to announce it.

Don't you feel jealous about the successes that could be achieved by the team you helped to build?
This team is also mine and I feel proud of and part of the successes of Barça.

How do you spend your time now?
I continue with my business of commercial agents and optimization of sponsorships (BSM) and I'm still involved with a family company (EMTE).

this was the second part of this 2006 interview. you can read the first part here.


Read more:
Rosell writing second book
Poll result: Will Rosell be the next president?
Rosell sounding out Fernando Torres