Thursday, November 12, 2009

Former candidate Angel Fernandez will not run

Speaking to Catalan televison channel TV3, Catalan business man and former presidential candidate Angel Fernández has said that he doesn't have any plans to take part in the upcoming elections:

"I will never again be a candidate for the presidency of Barça, nor will I be part of a candidacy or will I take up any responsibility at the club. That chapter is closed.

I'll be a culé for the rest of my life but I will never again work in the frontline. I've already lived that experience, although unfortunately not during the most brilliant period of Barça. I'm responsible for my acts, I was around at a bad moment and I paid for that."


Angel Fernández was in 1997 the challenger of Barcelona president Josep Lluís Núñez. In 2000, he was a pre-candidate but ended up joining Joan Gaspart, in whose board he was vice-president from 2000 to 2002.

In the 1997 elections, Barcelona president Joan Laporta was part of his team, as were several current Barcelona directors like Jacint Borràs and Jordi Torrent, and presidential candidate in the upcoming elections Agustí Benedito.


Read more:
Bassat will not run a third time
Agusti Benedito to run for president